kratom and Xanax
Both kratom and Xanax are remedies used to treat anxiety, but there are significant differences between the two products. First, Xanax is a drug that the FDA has approved for the treatment of anxiety and pain disorders, while kratom is had no backing from the FDA as a drug that can treat anxiety. This means the safety and efficacy of kratom are unknown. But according to reports by users and manufacturers, individuals get relief from anxiety and pain when they use kratom. In this article, we’ll look at these two drugs, how they work, their side effects, and if you can, you can combine them.
What is Xanax?
Xanax a prescription drug that is indicated for anxiety; it’s the brand name for alprazolam. Xanax is mainly used to treat generalized anxiety disorders (GAD), which is a form of anxiety that stems from pain disorder and depression. On rare occasions, Xanax is prescribed for depression.
- Xanax is classified as benzodiazepines (benzos), and it comes in various forms such as tablets, dispersible, tablets, extended-release tablets, and also as a liquid. Pfizer manufactures this drug, and the FDA approved it in 1981.
- The federal agency warns against using Xanax alongside other benzodiazepines as opioid analgesics. Combining opioids and benzos can have severe impactions on the user, such as difficulty in breathing, extreme drowsiness, coma or even death at the worst.
- Benzodiazepines are listed among the most abused drugs in the US; Xanax tops the list since it’s a fast-acting benzodiazepine. In 2009, Xanax accounted for the most emergency room visits linked to CNS depressants. Addiction and long-term use of Xanax can result in psychotic experiences, impulsive behavior, aggression, and depression.
- If you plan to use Xanax, you must be cautious; this drug has significant side effects that make it be regulated as a prescription-only medication. This means you require a prescription form a qualified and licensed medical professional to acquire this drug. This said and done, some individuals still circumvent the law and get the medicine. Xanax is one of the most abused benzodiazepines in the US.
- Xanax isn’t safe for use by pregnant mothers or individuals allergic to oxazepam (Serax), diazepam (Valium), benzodiazepines like chlordiazepoxide (Librium), lorazepam (Ativan), or clorazepate (Tranxene). When receiving your prescription for Xanax from your doctor, it’s essential to share with them any internal organ or respiratory problems you may have. This will assist in avoiding fatal side effects.
Since one can purchase Xanax over the internet, the abuse of this drug continues to rise. If you receive a prescription for Xanax, you should stick to it since this drug is a powerful sedative and can lead to several adverse effects if you overdose.
What is kratom?
- Kratom is a tropical herb that is native to Southeast Asia; this herb has leaves that contain substances that confer psychotropic effects on the user. Kratom is legalized in some states in the US, and you can purchase the product from local vendors or online shops. Kratom comes in different names depending on the locality such as ketum, Thom, Biak, kakuam, and ithang.
In the market, you’ll find kratom products in various forms, such as tablets, capsules, extract, and blends. Some individuals also chew the kratom leaves or use dried leaves to brew kratom tea. Kratom is used for pain and anxiety relief, treating depressions and in stimulating or energizing the body. It’s also used by persons fighting opioid withdrawal, among other uses.
Kratom & Xanax
Depending on the dose, kratom can have either stimulating or sedating effects. For example, at a lower dose, the product confers a stimulating effect on the user while at a high dose, it’s sedating. The effect also depends on the kratom strain. Farmworkers in the regions where kratom is cultivated chew the fresh leaves to get stimulated.
- Kratom mimics the effects of known stimulants and opioids. The leaves of this herb contain two main active ingredients that are responsible for the results; these are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. These are the substances that interact with the opioid receptors in the body. For studies on this product, 7-hydroxymitragynine acts on the opioid receptors to produce pleasure decreased pain and sedation.
On the other hand, mitragynine acts on receptors in the brain resulting in stimulating effects. When kratom user takes the product in small amounts, they experience increased alertness, energy, and sociability.
Xanax and kratom dosage
- Xanax is indicated for transient symptoms of anxiety and anxiety disorder. A patient suffering from anxiety should take 0.25 to o.5 mg of Xanax three times each day. When prescribing the drug to a patient, the lowest possible effective dose should be used to limit the side effects and development of addiction.
- The dose may, however, be increased to the maximum therapeutic dose of 4mg per day if the patient is unresponsive to lower doses. The risk of dependence gets higher with the duration of the treatment.
- Discontinuation of the dosage should be done gradually to avoid any withdrawal erects. It’s recommended that the dosage should be reduced by a maximum of 0.5mg every 3 days. The patient should be reviewed to determine their response to the drug; actually, some patients may require a slower reduction in the dosage.
Can I mix kratom and Xanax?
This is a query that keeps on popping up every time there is a discussion on the use of these two drugs. The answer to this query can’t be straight forward since we have to consider several variables. The dose is one of the significant variables, for example, taking 2-4 grams of kratom is comparable to taking 0.5 mg of Xanax.
- You must also consider how to ingest the product; for example, some individual prefers to take kratom on an empty stomach to get a quicker and long-lasting effect. On the contrary, it’s not advisable to take Xanax on an empty stomach. Xanax is a prescription drug with many side effects.
- Some of the side effects of taking Xanax, which is a powerful sedative, include memory impairment, suicidal ideation, loss of coordination, and paranoia. These are severe side effects that you may not want to risk complicating by taking it alongside kratom.
The side effects of kratom, on the other hand, include
It’s not a wise idea to combine two sedative products since they may potentiate their effects and increase the likelihood of mental impairment, poor judgment, and alter the user’s mental state.
- Xanax has also been found to affect the respiratory system; it leads to slower breathing or difficulties in breathing. These effects are worse if it’s taken with alcohol or similar drugs. Although kratom doesn’t have any negative impact on the respiratory system, its alkaloids result in muscle relaxation; thus, if combined with Xanax, it can complicate the breathing problems.
- You already understand that Xanax is indicated for anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Kratom has also been shown to have anxiolytic capabilities. A lot of studies have reported severe impacts of combining a CNS depressant with a stimulant.
- As we have highlighted earlier, Xanax is a benzodiazepine which are psychoactive drugs that act as CNs depressants, American Addiction Centers have reported mixing two psychoactive substances can be highly dangerous since the two drugs may produce negative interactions. These centers have reported seizures in both Xanax and kratom users. This means combining these two substances could result in increased episodes of seizures.
Kratom has opioid-like effects; thus, it will be irresponsible to think of mixing these two drugs. No one can claim kratom, and the Xanax combination is safe. The FDA has released warnings and evidence that opiates and benzodiazepines should never be mixed due to the potential side effects that may result. The use of kratom has been linked to several deaths, but in most cases, these deaths are associated with polydrug use.
- The main difference between kratom and Xanax is that kratom has never undergone the through the process the FDA subjects drugs to test for safety and efficacy.
- Thus you can’t use kratom as an alternative to prescription opioids. Additionally, kratom should never be mixed with other prescription drugs such as benzodiazepines, including Xanax. This combination may result in undesired results, even coma, and death. You should be wary of online vendors who sell a mix of Xanax and kratom promising stimulating effects.
Before combining any two drugs, especially natural remedies, and prescription drugs, it’s vital to seek the opinion of your doctor. The doctor will evaluate the predisposition, drug interactions, and sensitivity before advising you. Any time you think of suing two psychoactive substances, seek the advice of your physician to be safe.
In simple words, kratom and Xanax should never be combined. If you decide to use the two drugs at the same time, you’re risking your life. The combination may also result in a severe form of addiction that may be difficult to cure. The addiction could be fatal, not addressed in time. If you’re considering using either drugs or you’re already in practice, you should stop to avoid hurting your body or experience the worse effects of this combination.