Kratom is generally a herb that most people take to get relief from different pains and aches and as an alternative to drugs. However, some people also claim to have headaches after consuming kratom. Others even call them kratom migraines due to their severity. Kratom is incredibly beneficial. Nevertheless, you can also experience some kratom side effects like dizziness, constipation, dry mouth, nausea, and kratom hangover, among others. Kratom headache is one of the common side effects that users might experience after ingesting this beneficial herb.
There’s not any understanding of why so many individuals report getting headaches after taking kratom as the plant itself is hypothetically very benevolent with little when it comes to identifying psychoactive components. But those who’ve found success using different strains claim that kratom provides excellent relief from all types of pain.
Probably the very most significant aspect of ingesting kratom that users must be aware of is that everybody reacts differently. Depending on physical chemistry and condition, age, fitness, and many other reasons, there are no universal facts about what you should expect from taking kratom. While it doesn’t happen to every user, kratom headaches can happen. At times they might be related to how your body usually responds to some of the alkaloids found in kratom.
Strains that might cause kratom headaches
Many kratom users who claim to experience kratom headaches, identify fast kratom strains as the major causes of migraines. Some of the kratom strains include:
Nevertheless, the sensitivity to various strains might vary from one person to another. Some have claimed that they get kratom headaches after consuming Red Bali Kratom products, while others might be susceptible to any kratom strain they take.
Causes of Kratom Headaches
For many years different researchers have been undertaking researches to discover the leading causes of Kratom migraines. However, they have not been able to determine the reason. There can be various reasons for kratom headaches and migraines. Here are the most common causes.
- Since coffee and kratom come from the same family, you’ve got a high probability of having headaches after consuming kratom if you tend to get problems after taking coffee as well. When you drink caffeine, it narrows all the blood vessels around the brain.
- Once the effects begin wearing off, your blood vessels will expand again, which might result in headaches.
Some alkaloids present in kratom have vasoconstrictive properties. Hence, strains that have a high content of these alkaloids may cause kratom headaches. Just like coffee, these strains have stimulating effects, as well. Just like what happens with coffee, you might also experience kratom withdrawal headache if you suddenly stop taking it.
Taking kratom in high dosage
- Taking a high dosage of kratom can cause headaches. If you’ve recently upped your kratom dose, tried a new kratom strain, or a seller you’ve never purchased kratom from previously, the chances are that your dosage is too high.
- Some kratom users experience headaches because of stress. Once you work on releasing the tension, your headaches should subside. Some of your body parts can also have tension after consuming fast strains, which can also lead to kratom headaches.
Susceptibility to headaches
- Generally, if you are susceptible to having migraines or headaches, your chances of getting kratom headaches are high, too. That is because your brain might be slightly different from the brain of a person who does not suffer from headaches or migraines.
According to research, people with a predisposition to migraines have thinner outer layers of the brain, especially in parts responsible for pain. Thus, you might be more prone to the blood vessels changes in the brain after ingesting kratom.
- Kratom is usually diuretic, meaning it expels different liquids from your body, which regularly results in constipation. Again, most users have reported feeling kratom headaches if they don’t take enough water. Some users also noted that their kratom headaches gradually passed after increasing their water intake.
Ways to relieve Kratom headaches
1. Lower your Kratom dosage
- The strength of the kratom powders that you purchase may vary from one batch to another. That is because different factors like the amount of sunshine and rain, harvesting time, and many others can significantly affect the alkaloid level in the kratom leaves.
- While some vendors strive hard to provide consistency, changes in the strength of separate batches are usually undetectable; other sellers don’t do that. Therefore, it might be possible to consume a dosage that’s too strong, especially if you’ve just bought a new batch.
Kratom potency may also vary from one strain to another and from one vendor to another. Therefore, you should try lowering your kratom dosage and see if you will notice any changes. It might take a couple of times to readjust your dosage of kratom and get relief from kratom headaches.
2. Practice relaxation techniques and get enough sleep
- Most of the people who experience migraines often have certain triggers that start it off. Although your specific triggers might be different, regular migraines happen, especially if you’ve felt depressed or anxious or even lack sleep.
- Therefore, ensure that you get more sleep and also find different relaxation techniques that resonate with you to provide relief from kratom headaches. Some of these methods can be taking a walk, having a steam bath, doing yoga, and listening to music, among others.
If you don’t know what your triggers are, you can ascertain that by keeping a journal or diary. Every time you experience a migraine or debilitating headache, note down the specifics of the day like what you ate, what you did, how you felt, as well as what made you feel that way. Again, write down the kratom strains you consumed and your dosage too. With time you will notice some patterns which will help you determine your triggers.
3. Replace caffeinated drinks with water
- If you do not take coffee, there are many other ways in which you might be consuming caffeine. Beverages like tea, coke, and soda contain caffeine, as well. Caffeinated drinks can quickly dehydrate you.
- Consuming some chocolate regularly or daily can also be another source of caffeine. To minimize your caffeine intake, you should swap your caffeinated drinks with plenty of water. If you can’t give up chocolate and coffee, ensure that you take extra water to avoid dehydration.
4. Increase your water intake
- The most regularly recommended and easiest way to get relief from kratom headache is drinking plenty of water. If you usually drink plenty of water, increasing your water intake might help a lot. Another good practice is drinking an additional glass of water for each cup of coffee you take.
5. Try various Kratom strains
- If you are experiencing headaches after ingesting kratom, then you may be allergic to a particular strain. For example, some users become agitated and jittery after consuming fast strains just like you would feel after taking too much coffee. So, you should try a range of different strains and see how you feel after consuming them.
- For example, if you are searching for stimulating effects, go for Green Maeng Da strain instead of the White Maeng Da because it has milder effects.
In most cases, some vendors offer starter packages or free samples to their new clients. Other vendors add some free samples to every order, as well. Some might even select specific strains for every buyer based on what they’ve ordered before. That’s a great way to try some new strains without committing yourself to buy a more significant bulk.
How you can avoid the kratom headaches
- Some of the most common Kratom strains that cause regular problems are the Thai Kratom and Maeng Da Kratom. These kratom strains are some of the most stimulating but can also lead to muscle tension, which might cause tension headaches.
- While your primary objective for taking kratom strain might have been for ache/pain relief, anxiety treatment, euphoria, or an alternative for other medications, you might not experience them when you are busy dealing with a debilitating headache. Therefore, the best way to prevent Kratom headaches and migraines altogether is to cut your dosages.
Taking kratom at high dosages will cause all types of side effects. Each time you switch to a new strain, or a highly stimulating strain, it’s recommended to consume them in small dosages instead.
Most of the kratom side effects, which cause pain to the users are as a result of taking large and potent doses of kratom. The users are therefore advised to take kratom in small doses or to try some new varieties of Kratom strains that have the potential to give you the same effects as the previous ones.
The critical factor is to treat your quality and dosage very seriously because it can be easy to either take too much than you need or fall for some poor grade strain. Begin low and slowly build up, then slow down gradually and take reasonable length breaks. Make sure you eat well, hydrate, get enough sleep, and take care of yourself, and probably, you might avoid kratom headaches and migraines in the long run.