A vital issue that many users are worried about is the potential for overdosing on Kratom. It is a rational fear to have; however, in this article, we will provide the real information on how apparent overdoses are while using Kratom. One thing that you will be aware of is that Kratom does not currently have FDA approval. One of the reasons for this is the potential for abuse and the possibility of overdosing. However, this risk has overplayed mainly in the media.
There is a risk of overdose. However, this is the same for many supplements and over-the-counter medications. It is essential to take particular precautions with anything you put into your body. Kratom is no different. In this guide, we will analyze the risks of overdosing and detail the symptoms of a typical overdose. The risk of overdose is incredibly low. In comparison to legal drugs such as alcohol, We will describe how you can take Kratom safely and effectively to avoid overdose and also to prevent any potential side effects.
What Are the Risks of Overdosing?
Contrary to popular belief, kratom does not inherently have the potential to overdose. Users report adverse side effects that result from using too much of the substance, but like similar drugs, kratom is unlikely to cause significant health concerns. Most people report feelings of
- intense nausea,
- dizziness, and headaches when ingesting too much kratom in a short amount of time.
- As the effects of the drug often take upwards of 60 minutes to be felt completely, it is essential to be aware of how much kratom is ingesting to prevent taking too much at a time.
- There have been some reported hospitalizations related to Kratom. However, the vast majority also involved other drugs.
- There have only been around 15 deaths attributed to Kratom, and these two had other substances involved. Therefore, Kratom itself may not pose a danger. However, it may lead users to engage in risky behaviors with other elements.
There are certain risks of using very high doses in the long term. Anorexia and Insomnia are common symptoms of very high regular doses of Kratom. Additionally, kidney failure and liver damage are other symptoms that can develop after months and years of very high doses.
- Dark urine and yellowing of the skin will signal the presence of severe damage to the kidney and the liver.
- This cannot be reversed. However, it only develops when very high doses are used very regularly.
- Most regular users will never be at risk for this since their doses are far lower, and they also take breaks from using Kratom.
Is Kratom Addictive?
Like any substance, some users may find themselves addicted to Kratom. Becoming dependent on content is possible. However, the risk of addiction is fairly low.
- The signs of Kratom addiction are mood shifts, and a need to take the substance to feel normal. The effects of Kratom can be potent.
- The painkilling effects and the mood-boosting effects can lead users to want to chase it overly. This can lead to dangerous behaviors developing.
- Therefore, those with naturally addictive personalities should be extra careful when dosing Kratom.
- Overall, Kratom can be addictive, but it is far less addictive than many opioids and prescription drugs.
- Furthermore, addiction can be broken in a far less sensitive manner. We list the guidelines for breaking potential dependence further below in the article.
Can Kratom be Abused similarly to Opioids?
There is a lot of confusion and misinformation being spread about the dangers of Kratom. One of these misconceptions is that Kratom is similar to Opioids and the risk of abuse is the same. Mainly, this comparison arises because Kratom can cause “opioid-like effects.” However, even though the effects may seem similar, the mechanisms are very different. The risks of abuse, are also substantially different.
America is going through an Opioid crisis right now, and there have been substantial studies that claim Kratom can be useful for helping to ease addiction. The withdrawal symptoms of opioids can be life-threatening. In comparison, the withdrawal symptoms of Kratom are usually far milder.
The risk of abuse is far lower in Kratom, and it does not carry the same level of risks. The FDA has been wary of Kratom and listed that it does have the potential for abuse. However, this has not been backed up in studies. In general, it sounds like scaremongering. The comparison of Kratom to Opioids is a false one.
Potential Side Effects of Overdosing
Using more than is necessary is a surefire way to experience adverse side effects. While there is not much risk of serious harm when using too much kratom, users have reported that nausea and headaches can reach nearly unbearable levels if more kratom is ingested in high amounts.
- It is essential, to begin with, the suggested dose of 1-2 grams and then assess the results after waiting for the herbs to act, which could take up to an hour depending on the person. Everyone’s body reacts differently, and therefore it is vital to start slow and build up the dose gradually.
- Another side effect users have reported a condition referred to as the “wobbles.” This symptom is characterized by extreme dizziness and an inability to focus. This can occur with strains that have higher concentrations or ingredients that do not mesh well with the person taking the supplement.
- While this may not affect everyone that uses kratom, it is still a side effect to be aware of. Others have suggested that eating light, carb-heavy foods can help alleviate some of the symptoms by helping to absorb the herb similar to how eating can help alcohol drinkers.
- Ginger has also been suggested to help with nausea, as ginger is used in numerous scenarios to reduce feelings of nausea from pregnant women to chemotherapy patients.
Delusions and hallucinations have reported by users who have taken too much Kratom. This is usually seen in doses above 20g which is far above the recommended amount. Users can become paranoid, and start viewing things that aren’t there. This requires a trip to the emergency room. Additionally, users can become aggressive after an overdose and may have symptoms of listlessness.
How to Minimize Potential Side Effects of Kratom
There are ways of mitigating some of the side effects of kratom if done right. The most widely accepted way to minimize adverse side effects is staying hydrated. Most users report that dehydration is a significant factor in experiencing nausea and constipation while using kratom. As a result, make sure to drink plenty of water before and during use. Other have recommended magnesium citrate specifically for constipation if that issue is prominent. Again, finding the correct dose for each is just as crucial as deciding a strain or determining a method of ingestion.
You should also ensure that you are getting enough sleep and maintaining a healthy diet. Kratom can make insomnia problems worse, even though some strains can improve sleep. Kratom should not be used as a substitute for a poor diet or lifestyle. It is essential to get regular exercise as this can make the substance work even better. Many of the side effects can manage by maintaining a proper healthy lifestyle.
Can you build a Tolerance on Kratom?
Finding the right dosage is vital to using kratom safely, but understanding tolerance is arguably even more critical. Like many similar substances, prolonged use of kratom can result in building up endurance to the herb.
- A user might start with 1-2 grams of kratom yet continue to increase their dosage as the effects begin to become less noticeable. This has a myriad of consequences.
- Firstly, increasing tolerance of kratom becomes more expensive as more of the herb is needed to sufficiently sedate or stimulate the user. Like any dependency, withdrawal symptoms can play a role in the increasing costs of the herb when tolerance is higher.
- Another consequence of increasing tolerance is that the user begins to deal with higher and higher doses of kratom as the body needs more. Using high quantities of any opiate-like substance is dangerous and can amplify the adverse side effects if not taken safely.
- Finally, a person that has a high enough tolerance to kratom may ultimately be unable to get the positive effects from the herb. A high enough patience may mean that no healthy amount of the herb will produce the medicinal results that were desired in the first place.
- As a result, it is essential to learn how to manage the use of kratom in a safe way that respects the power of the substance, as kratom is a severe supplement that can have significant consequences, especially with how little scientists know about it.
Luckily, there are ways to manage one’s tolerance of kratom that can be useful. A common way to avoid building tolerance is the concept of tolerance breaks. Tolerance breaks are frequently used with similar drugs and help maintain the benefits of kratom without making it more challenging to achieve those effects.
- Waiting 3-7 days in between uses of kratom allows it to reduce in levels throughout the body. By taking breaks, the herb does not have time to build up in the user’s system and will preserve the medicinal qualities of kratom without demanding more every time.
- Seasoned consumers argue that kratom should not be taken every day, and if possible, try taking a tolerance break before increasing the dose.
Sometimes it is necessary to stop taking kratom altogether or to lower the dosage when tolerance is built up too high. Like nearly any herb with a potential to create dependency, it is not advised to quit cold turkey. There are real withdrawal symptoms that are associated with kratom that can be exacerbated when stopping it immediately.
Users have reported increased irritability, depression and anxiety among other withdrawal symptoms. As a result, it is necessary to taper off the use of kratom. This involves slowly using less and less kratom each time until reaching the desired dose. That way, the body has time to adjust and react to changing levels of the substance without too much of an abrupt change.
If lowering the dosage of kratom or completely quitting is something the user decides to do, tapering the dose is extremely vital to prevent dangerous withdrawal symptoms. Many users have successfully tapered themselves off the substance.
In comparison to other substances, it appears it is easier to deal with the potential withdrawal effects of Kratom. The physical withdrawal effects are not life-threatening, and the use of tapered doses can help wean off users who have developed a dependency. This makes the substance superior to many other medications and elements that have far more difficult phases of withdrawal.
Kratom is a controversial supplement that is seeing a massive rise in popularity. There are many benefits to the herb, especially since depending on the strain it can either have stimulating effects or be used as a sedative. Many users have found that it has drastically improved the quality of their lives. It allows them to manage their symptoms in a better way and provides flexible benefits for each user.
However, it is essential to understand that kratom is not approved by the FDA and must be used with caution. While overdosing is not a serious threat, there are side effects to kratom that could lead to health issues. It is vital to research and evaluate the risks and benefits of the herb to see if it is an excellent alternative to traditional medicine.
You will now understand the relative risks of overdosing on Kratom and will be able to recognize the typical symptoms of an overdose. Kratom can be a fantastic supplement, but it does have to be used responsibly. The risk of harm is low, but it is always there, and therefore it is vital to avoid misuse of the substance.